Waituhi 2019

End of May I got this sick but terribly timed opportunity to design 8 flags for Frank Kitts park as part of the Wellington City Council Matariki celebrations. 

Was pretty daunting but also exciting because I'd never worked on something that wasn't wood and also because I had to learn how to use my computer for reals this time and use illustrator.

I made some pretty outrageous creative choices for me and the outcome was pretty shocking and at first traumatising because I realised what i had actually done and how public these things were.







In my proposal I put forward a set of four designs that would be repeated across the 8 flags. The colours came from a reflection of our Wellington community, especially after the events in Christchurch earlier this year I thought it was be a fun way to incorporate and celebrate the diversity of our city inline with the celebrations of Matariki. Was super crazy of me, the colours?! Wild.

"directly relate to Matariki and the Māori New Year as a time for remembrance and celebration of what was and what is yet to come. Acknowledging the events of the year, remembering those no longer with us and celebrating new life and a brighter Māori New Year. 

Kara’s flags designs incorporate a series of dots variously positioned across each flag and signifying stylised star constellations. Kara was inspired to use a multitude of bright colour gradients to reflect the diversity of Wellington and the many different people residing here. In light of the Matariki remembrance and celebrations, Kara felt that it would be a nice way to incorporate and celebrate our colourful community."



First time ever doing public art. Different!!! But cool experience. Made these during my darkest time lol almost killed me doing it but I couldn't not ya know. Feel like its very different and pretty random to what I usually like doing but is also a reflection of that time??? Idk but it is random. I'm owning that now though.

Comments