Weasel Gallery - October 2019

I'd been in contact with a relatively fresh gallery in Hamilton for a couple months, and we had discussed potentially showing with them later this year. They found me through word of mouth/one of my friends and got in touch early Jan. Initially it was gearing up to be a two person show - the gallery would pair me up with someone they'd found but i secretly just wanted a solo show but didn't want to say anything, though after going back and forwards for a little while trying to find a good fit for my work we came to the agreement a solo show would be most favourable for the both of us.

During my time at home I travelled over to Hamilton to meet with the gallery owner and to see the space. A quaint little space with a really vibrant owner. Really glad I got over there and got a sense of the space to see if this show was really something that I would want to do. I remember thinking I couldn't possibly do a whole show on my own in the state that I was in but I'm so glad I said yes despite the doubt. Laree told us (my dad and I) a little bit about the gallery and its history, she opened around Feb 2018 and runs shows for about 3weeks each, talked about the number of pieces she would ideally have in the space and how openings usually go. 

It's been a goal of mine for a while to have a show at home in Te Arawa where my mum is from, and I achieved that in April. Now I have an opportunity to have a show in Waikato, where I whakapapa back to through my dad is a pretttttyy special feeling.

So since that meeting i reckon a lot has happened. made some pretty drastic changes and investments into my making process and (hopefully) streamlining the way I make my designs by using my computer hehe and decided on a name for the show. When we met Laree was leaning towards a total of 10 works for the show, which I thought was a pretty ambitious amount for that space and also the sizes that I like to work with + thats also just a lot for me to produce. For this space I'm be comfortable with making 8 and so thats what my plan is. Exciting times ahead


Comments