Mahi in progz

After confirming the show in Hamilton, I got a little (lots) bit overwhelmed with the amount of work I had to produce in the next couple months and so my dad and i sat down and broke down my process and what parts where causing the most anxiety.

That was a really helpful exercise and from that I found that it was the sourcing of timber and making of the boards that made me most anxious. I found out earlier in the year from the guys at City Timber that the wood i usually work with - Fijian Kauri was no longer being milled therefore harder to access/get at all and thats been pretty stressful. the making part was bittersweet because it's an aspect of my process that i've always really enjoyed and have always always done - sometimes not to the highest standard but done nonetheless. 

Dad gave me a contact that they regularly use at work (Te Puia) for hanging fixtures and joinery stuff - recommended them to do the fabrication of my boards and sourcing of timber. Because I still had some work at Te Puia dad was able to show the guy an example of my work and how I make the backings for each board which was really helpful. a two in one source was pretty perfect so i drew out some sizes that i'd like to work on and got some quotes on that and different types of timber.


This is a pretty big step for me, feel like an adult artist getting these things made for me. Exciting and scary, but mostly exciting! I enquired about Fijian Kauri and they confirmed it's available in the mm that I need so offered some other varietys, which are pretty beautiful too but farkin expenny.

In an ideal world i would have a whole set in just Rimu and Tawa but because I haven't won lotto yet I'm working with what I've got and doing a mix of Birch and Rimu, I have ordered a total of 6 full sheets of plywood that will make 10 boards; 8 sizes in Birch and 2 in Rimu. It's a big investment for me and quite a shift in my practice but one that I'm feeling pretty good about. These works are a product of a pretty significant time in my life and so they're already feeling pretty special for me.

I've decided on Birch and Rimu - and I discussed this in my lil session during our last hui but I really enjoy the utilitarian quality of the birch and how that speaks to the nature of tukutuku and its practical nature of being a learning resource as well as decorative. And the Rimu because it is a native timber therefore very much a taonga - pretty special I get to work with this. Will be the first time working with a NZ native timber!!!!

Over the past couple weeks my dad has been the point of contact between Sparke kitchens and myself which has been very smooth, currently they are working on the birch boards and will be sending that batch to me first while they wait for the rimu to arrive. I've been on the computer trying out different patterns but it doesn't feel quite the same as when i have the physical board with me. really looking forward to getting them here!






These are a couple pics dad sent through of their progress, they're only of the frames because the mm of birch they received was wrong so once they get the 9mm its all go. Its pretty crazy I'll be getting this massive box of wood in the next couple of weeks!!! And still unsure if I will send too Tim over in block two or have them in my studio and be brave and use the 3d workshop. idk

Comments