Ihumātao publication

A few weeks ago I got this pretty random message from Hana Pera Aoake about potentially contributing to a kaupapa she and some others were wanting to get off the ground. 

The kaupapa being a complication of writing to raise funds in support of Ihumātao and she was wondering if I would want to do something for the cover. Her getting in contact about this felt like pretty perfect timing with all that was happening.

I'd been feeling really hurt and frustrated about what has/had been going on up there and also a little bit helpless despite my small contributions and efforts to support from afar so this opportunity felt like divinely timed or something. 

In terms of my work it felt really nice (for once) to be able to pull mahi up that I had already designed and koha that. The design I chose was one of two colourways that I had created from a single motif that was repeated and coloured to make something I thought was interesting. I had been thinking a lot about our tukutuku patterns and their place in the marae, acting as more then just decorative patterns - being a substantial component and being just as important (if not more in some marae) as the carved tipuna of the whare. I had recently learnt that as well as being integral to the structure of the whare's narrative, it also served as a teaching/learning resource. And so with that in mind it felt pretty fitting to koha this as a potential cover. 






Pono red
Pono green



So I sent off the two options and they had said they would like to go for the red. I didn't mind at all and kind of anticipated the red would be more attractive, was secretly hoping for the green but its algood. 

Work is titled Pono and the launch is happening next weekend - I'm not sure what to expect from it but am just really happy to be able to support this super pivotal moment in our history. I've never experienced anything like this - only ever read about them (bastion point) and it has been emotionally taxing to think about the politics that has gone on and what is continuing to go on but is so important and confronting to not think about. It is so so important for our people to be heard and to be seen in all things. Social media has played a huge part in this and is times like this where it is actually useful. It has allowed access to information on whats going on there for so many of us who haven't been able to be there physically - and for that I'm super grateful.

Ka whawhai tonu mātou


Comments