Masterclass: Beauty with Lee and Catherine

This had been one of the shorter master class sessions I'd experienced, because I think a lot of us hadn't prepared/read the assigned readings. I'm guilty on that part as I got really discouraged when I printed and read what was given for the collaboration session cause I found that material so irritating to read and really just kind of pointless for that class so was just really out off but I do wish I put effort into this class.

To be honest I didn't really absorb much of what Lee had presented, only that he had taken some pretty great photos of a rotting strawberry while in Venice. My peers though had quite a few questions for Lee which was interesting.

What I enjoyed and engaged with the most was Catherine's part and where she was coming from in her discussion/investigation of beauty. And I think I paid more attention to her because she was coming from a more human approach which I like, instead of I guess a art/design mindset which I find really not that engaging and quite hard to connect with at times She told us that she has experienced multiple suicides by friends and family in her life and I think depression and so from what I understood from her was that beauty has been more then just a thing object, is a moment, a feeling a sensation when you see something that has you bubble up inside and inspire something in you. 

She had a reading from critical conversations in kaupapa maori about "non-human others and kaupapa maori research"- (which I made sure I read once class was done) and it talks about Hongi Hika and his Mataora/Moko and the presence and significance it has on paper, that it is active and live. Being more then just a mark, it is a representation of the mana and the mauri of him the wearer of these markings. And I thought that was so special, because these marks that our people wear are beyond us, we are like a blank page and they are the writings/knowledges/whakapapa. Beautiful patterns that are active and ready to give/exchange breath when we are ready to recieve. 

She also talked about a fleeting moment she had seeing a young woman in a velvet pink dress, explaining the way the fabric moved and the demeanour of the woman and how she found that moment so beautiful and like a special moment of her day. She went on to explain how that little moment made her whole day, gave her butterflies and inspired her to want to do and make something beautiful of her own as a way of I guess acknowledging that beauty.

She only spoke maybe twice and again I wish I had engaged in the conversation, but something I could maybe talk more about with her another time. But listening to her talk and then reading that one reading(lol) I see a lot of gratitude in what she spoke about, and that makes so much sense to me. As someone who is actively working through personal growth it is so important to give thanks and express gratitude in our everyday. Life is way too short to feel sorry for ourselves or have a constant feeling of being less than or not having enough. Having a grateful heart I think really opens up and enables us to see feel and just experience more beauty in all aspects life which is so great i reckon. Seeing beauty in everything i engage with I know won't be often and there are many things I wont ever think are beautiful ever but i'm really glad i was able to make some kind of connection with what Catherine and Lee had to say about the topic.



Comments