money moves

So over the last 2-3 weeks I've had two crates arrive with the boards I had made. Last week I got the last of the two which contained the Rimu I've been so excited about. It's been pretty overwhelming finally having all the things inhouse now, especially seen the rimu finally, it's, made me re-evaluate the type of design I was going to put onto it because the grain is so beautiful as it is, I want to do my best to make the absolute most of it.




I have 3 pieces in total of the Rimu, which I think will be treated significantly differently to the birch in terms of finish and colour. I have about 9 pieces of Birch and am thinking about exploring colour in them, using some stains and some bright colours to make the wood really pop. It's been really interesting seeing just how contrasting the two grains of wood ae to eachother, It makes me really excited to see how the show will turn out with these two. 



I noticed on all the backs of the boards there seems to be screws going directly into the back of the working surface which makes me a little nervous so have been reccomended that I try take out those screws before routing to avoid any potential hazards, then out them back in when I'm done. Theres quite a lot of wood on the backs of these so it makes them quite heavy which is a little bit inconvenient but definitely a learning curve. The whole process of getting the boards fabricated for me has been a really valuable learning experience, especially so with the rimu boards. Previously I would usually make cuts from the sheet of the grain that I wanted in particular - and with getting them made this time round I didn't have that luxury which means I now have quite a busy composition from the grain alone on the largest piece of rimu. And thats totally fine and a challenge I'm excited to take on, but it is definitely something I would like to be consulted about next time. Also it was an interesting time unboxing the second crate, with some of my peers around to see what it was I ordered and them asking how much money I had spent on all of it. I don't care for a lot of people's opinions so I never really take notice of things, but their reactions to the answers I gave when asked however much $$ was put into my work, they were shocked and in disbelief that I would do that, which felt really surprising to me because this isn't like some hobby that I'm just mucking around with, and also why wouldn't I invest in my practice? This is the career that I've chosen makes sense to me to invest time and energy into it. I take pride in the quality and finish of what I make and if that means moving into a space where I get professionals to do these things for me then I am more than happy to do that. Idk but i just found that to be an interesting perspective. And also I just quit my job so this show gotta/better get me some return lol


Last week I finally built up the courage to enquire about something I should've really done like 3 weeks ago but I went over to the fab lab to ask about CNC routing my work and the possibilities of me doing that. I came out with some pretty positive feedback and have since completed 1 of 2 workshops needed to be fully inducted into using the big fulla. I had to do the classes backwards and learn about the machine first and also round up 3-4 people to be able to complete the part two workshop but everything is looking good to go for this Wednesday, feeling very excited to get into the making part of this. I'm really stoked to be learning this process since moving my design process from paper to computer, its allowed me to be a lot more playful and explore different possibilities that I wasn't able to on paper. Also because they have become alot more intricate it's harder (near actual impossible) for me to line that up by hand.

I am still going to grid up a couple of the smaller works to route by hand, but am really looking forward and interested in seeing how CNC finished product looks too.


My show date is quickly approaching and so I really need this shit to work and be done over the next two weeks realistically. I feel in my bones that this is definitely doable, I just have to make a solid plan and hit targets day by day. Hoping to get these works shipped out by 24th August so I'm crossing all my fingers and all my toes that all goes smoothly and I'll be sweet. I also just got this sent to me from the gallery director. Feels pretty surreal this shit is all set in stone and I literally cannot pull out. Also have been feeling really shy about the name I chose for the show and so I haven't told anyone about it or spoken about it cause I get I dunno, shy lol. Maybe I will in the next couple posts or maybe after the show is done. But nonetheless its out there in Art New Zealand. Jaz bought in a copy of Art News New Zealand and I tried looking for the page in there - not knowing there it was the totally wrong book hehe. Also super stoked for Jaz on her feature in there, I am so proud and admire her hard work and just straight up hustle <3 

Gonna find me a copy of this mag so I can keep this page foreverr


Comments