Progress: thesis proposal and work

It's been a really exciting and eye opening experience moving my making process into a digital realm, one that I thought would be nerve-wracking but worth the efficiency. Turns out that it isn't that much more efficient than me doing the work physically but does allow my designs to much more intricate and detailed, which is making it so worth it. 

Last thursday (29.08.19) afternoon and from 8:30am friday morning I was able to get a large birch panel fully CNC routed. The whole process of getting it from a design in illustrator then into VCarve and then onto the machine was a really dense process for me to work through but made the outcome that much more satisfying. The routing process happened in two parts using two different drill bits with everything taking almost 3 hours in total. First sweep over was using a 6mm end mill which has a straight cut finish to clear and size each hole - meaning the wholes wouldn't have the curved edge that I normally prefer - took 2 hours. Then the second pass then goes over and rounds out the edge on every circle using a 6mm ball nose bit which took basically an hour. 






CNC machine routed


Board done using plunge router

It's been really interesting seeing the quite big difference between the computer power tool and the hand held power tool, the size of the marks as well as the intricacy of the patterns is drastically different. I had planned to make some by hand as well as CNC but having this comparison is making me think over that. I am just wondering if the contrast is a little too much especially with having two types of wood already? Not sure.

Thesis proposal writing has been challenging. I've downloaded and read over a couple of the examples and haven't really found any of their structures helpful really but I guess good to see the different approaches to the brief. My thinking is still around Te Ao Maori and Purakau though I have trouble articulating. Will be looking more into this and breaking down what it is I want to propose for next year. 



Comments