The Sweet Taste Of Numbness

The end of september was probably the most hectic time I've ever experienced. basically starting and completing a whole physical making of a body of work in the space of like 3 weeks was full on.

I had set out a timeline/plan on how i was going to get things done. I had blocked out a whole week on the cnc router and managed to hit that goal and get all 7 works that i had planned to be routed done and also one done by hand. 

After calling for some back up I was super fortunate to have my dad come down and help me finish everything off. It was a really awesome 4 days and a nice energy exchange with my dad. it reminded me of times i would have to help and work with my dad on his projects when i was younger so it was a little weird but cool the roles were switched. My colleagues in studio seemed to enjoy my dads presence in studio as well..

The work was packed back into one of the crates all the wood originally arrived in except 2 pieces. I had to send the last two separate because they couldn't fit into the crate to my parents house so i could meet them in rotorua and travel over to hamilton with them.

I've learnt many things from this project, one of the majors is that whatever project budget you estimate - always allow at least a 25% buffer to account for things costing a little more ie shipping. I have poured a significant amount of money into this project which has been pretty traumatising, but also exciting. Crossing fingers and toes my work is well recieved in hamilton and people enjoy my mahi - thats all im really worried about. oh and also making money back hehe.

I'm really lucky to have formed a good relationship with gallery owner Laree Payne, maintaining consistent communication as well as installing the show together was really important for me. So on a Sunday I travelled over to Hamilton and we spent the day figuring out the layout and the hanging mechanisms which was super good for both of us i think. 













The name of the show was inspired by the past year so far. I had fallen into a pretty deep hole and it took a little while for me to get back into being semi normal and feeling like myself again. It reminds me a lot of tangi of a loved one. the grief and proper sadness over the loss of this person, while also having these moments of heart bursting love and appreciation for whanau and friends that have come to be with you. and when looking back on the tangi you feel like theres this sense of being at peace. that even in this pouri time there is still light and that is what your loved one would want you to remember - a celebration of a loved ones life. while it may seem like a pretty grim comparison thats the only way i can describe this feeling. also another something i likened this feeling too was the three realms within te ao maori. its a little less intense but still pretty intense.

Comments